Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. really sucks!!!
08-03-2018, 06:20 AM
RE: FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. really sucks!!!
So IMO the complaints about FMP12 were in large part valid. They had introduced so many new features and it was slow and not refined at all. However since that time things have changed. I did extensive development in FMP13, which was also a bit clunky but basically solid. The DBs have held up well and FM has provided updates and support where required.

Over the last 12 months I have been rebuilding major parts of our Sigma DB in FMP16. I have to say I am really impressed. The way containers are handled and the ability to execute SQL statements means that the solution can be greatly simplified. There are a ton of other improvements in both functionality and performance. Also the webdirect now works really well (was unusable in FMP13) and I often forget that I am in a web browser when using it.

The FM support forums are also really good and you are rarely stuck for more than a day with an issue.

Having said all that I do have some complaints which mainly have to do with how FM as a company is run. In particular the new licensing model is confusing. Their own sales people don't understand it. I general I find the quality of people at the sales end is very low. They also have a tendency to phone you and nag you about purchasing maintenance contract etc.

So, in summary it is currently better than it has ever been. We were considering moving off of it a couple of years ago but have decided against it. If you can justify the licensing costs then it is well worth it.

sam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. really sucks!!! - Sam - 08-03-2018 06:20 AM