Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. really sucks!!!
04-03-2013, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 04:33 AM by Cyrous.)
FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. really sucks!!!
I've used FM Pro 12 Adv. for 2 weeks. I thought I was just not used to use it in the begining but I found many of the good function that its previous versions (e.g. FileMaker Pro 11 Adv., FileMaker Pro 10 Adv., ... etc.) have are not existing in FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. anymore. When I entered layout mode of a layout in FileMaker Pro 11 Adv., if I selected a group of objects on the layout, I could see the position of the group of objects from the "Inspector". When I enter layout mode of a layout in FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. and do the same thing which I did in FileMaker Pro 11 Adv., I only can see the position of an object from the "Inspector" but cannot see the position of a group of objects. Sucks!!!

I can understand that FileMaker Pro 12 is a newer generation of FileMaker Pro database so FileMaker change the file extension of FileMaker Pro file from "fp7" to "fmp12". If FileMaker change it to something like "fp8" then it makes sense to me, but it's so stupid that FileMaker change it to "fmp12". What about if there is FileMaker Pro 100 in the future? Will FileMaker change the file extension of FileMaker Pro file to fmp100?

But anyway, I still hope it was because I was not familiar with FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. not FileMaker removes the good and useful function from newer generation of FileMaker Pro database.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 05:46 AM
RE: FileMaker Pro 12 Adv. really sucks!!!
I also went through a period like like this. And though there are still things that irritate me about layout manipulation, and there are still some bugs to fix, I have gotten used to it. Its a good idea to look here:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/de...emaker-pro

and here:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/de...ptbA%3D%3D

Regarding your specific issue of group position, there is a workaround, it will report the position if you "group" the objects. (Arrange->Group). I guess they decided this made more sense.

One of the things that really threw me was the object selection. It went from fully surround the object to touch only. BUT!, you can revert to the surround only by holding down the command key (not sure what it is in windows...try Alt??) then click and drag.

Ive also found that if you are editing layouts made in FMP11 many of the new features are not available. So it is good to begin from scratch where you can. You will find it a much more satisfying experience.

Dont give up. Try to make use of some of the cool new layout tools such as rollover visual modes etc. Kind of makes it worth it. The themes mechanism is also worth exploring. Although not so relevant to a legacy database like VTAS.

To be honest the old layout tools were very much like a Mac from the 1980s. No change. The new platform should allow them to develop this thing further. Need to be patient. I waited til 12.0v3 to use it cus 12.0v1 was truly awful. Remember there are also big changes under the hood which we do not readily see.

FMP 12 was where they cut their teeth, Im hoping FMP 13 will be the real thing.

Mike
08-03-2018, 04:29 AM
Was the FileMaker improved over the years at all? I haven't used it in ages, I have been considering it lately.
08-03-2018, 06:20 AM
So IMO the complaints about FMP12 were in large part valid. They had introduced so many new features and it was slow and not refined at all. However since that time things have changed. I did extensive development in FMP13, which was also a bit clunky but basically solid. The DBs have held up well and FM has provided updates and support where required.

Over the last 12 months I have been rebuilding major parts of our Sigma DB in FMP16. I have to say I am really impressed. The way containers are handled and the ability to execute SQL statements means that the solution can be greatly simplified. There are a ton of other improvements in both functionality and performance. Also the webdirect now works really well (was unusable in FMP13) and I often forget that I am in a web browser when using it.

The FM support forums are also really good and you are rarely stuck for more than a day with an issue.

Having said all that I do have some complaints which mainly have to do with how FM as a company is run. In particular the new licensing model is confusing. Their own sales people don't understand it. I general I find the quality of people at the sales end is very low. They also have a tendency to phone you and nag you about purchasing maintenance contract etc.

So, in summary it is currently better than it has ever been. We were considering moving off of it a couple of years ago but have decided against it. If you can justify the licensing costs then it is well worth it.

sam